Children are a real blessing and it can be a blast showing them the ropes and watching them grow up. They seem to get more independent each year that goes by, even starting at a very young age. No matter how old our kids are they still need our love and parental advice. Here are some tips on parenting toddlers that will go along way in raising happy healthy kids.
Tips for Keeping Your Toddles Safe and Healthy
- Kids need your full attention so set aside regular times you can be there for them. Great ways of giving your kids your full attention at this age is to read them a book, play with them, take a walk around the block, go to the park,and talk to them. Times like these will help build strong bonds of affection and trust between you and your kids.
- Eating healthy foods is important for strong and healthy kids. We don’t always being the best role model in this area so take the time to adjust your eating habits to reflect eating foods that are good for you. Explain to your kids why eating healthy foods is important to their health. Have them name several good foods that they eat on a daily basis and explain to them how they will make them strong and healthy.
- Talk to your kids about harmful substances that can be found in your home. This included medicines, household cleaners, etc. Keep them out of reach and tell them it isn’t okay for them to mess with these things and not to take any medicine unless you give it to them because it could hurt them.
- Teach and model the kind of behavior you expect from your child. Help them to understand the basic rules of getting along with other children; sharing, playing fair, telling the truth, and treating others the way they want to be treated.
- Encourage your child to follow instructions. A great way to do this is to play simple board games such as Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Playing Cards Go Fish, Preschool Numbers Memory Game, and so on. Children can comprehend and play games like this at a fairly young age and it is a great way to spend quality time with them.
- Turning a bad situation into successful one is a great way to build a child’s self-confidence. For example; your child is making a tower out of blocks and it keeps falling down. This is enough to make them cry and get frustrated but you can help by offering them a few suggestions that will keep the tower up, while at the same time asking them what they think will work and work on it together.
- Practical decision making is key to successful life. I think at times we all may struggle with it but you can start teaching your kids how to do it when they are young by giving them options to choose from. Sine they are picking from a list of options that you already approve of they will be making good decisions so let them know that they did good.