Parenting typically requires on the job training and has many challenges. Parents will make mistakes from time to time, however, here are some tips for parenting infants that will get you off on the right foot.
Practice Positive Parenting
- Babies love to hear your voice, it is very soothing to them so talk to your baby.
- Help your baby learn to use language by responding to their sounds, answer them by repeating and adding words.
- Read to your baby. The sound of your voice is soothing and this also helps them to develop and understand sounds and language.
- Sing to your baby, whether you are good at it or not, they don’t know the difference.
- Playing music for your baby will help them to love music.
- Praise your baby and give them lots of love and attention.
- Make your child feel cared for and secure by cuddling and holding them close.
- When your baby is alert and relaxed is the best time to play. Watch for signs of being tired or fussy so that you can take a break.
- Parenting is a hard work. Take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. It is easier to be a good positive parent when you feel good.
Infant Safety Comes First
- Never shake your baby because their neck muscles are weak and can’t support their heads yet.
- Put your baby to sleep on their backs to reduce the risk of SIDs.
- Always use a car seat when riding in the car. The safest place is in the back seat and facing the rear.
- Prevent choking while eating by cutting their food into very small pieces.
- Don’t allow your baby to play with anything that may cover their face and block their air flow.
- Never hold your baby while carrying hot foods or liquids.