Teenagers are very independent and many think they are indestructible and know more than their parents. Trust is important for teenagers, even as they develop their independence, they need to know that they have your support. Here are some positive parenting tips for raising teenagers.
Positive Parenting for Teens
- Respect their need for privacy.
- Be honest and direct with them when talking about sensitive subjects.
- Talk to them about sex, drugs, smoking, alcohol, and how bad choices will have consequences.
- Encourage them to be physically active. Too many teens spend way to much time playing video games and texting on the phone.
- Meal time is important for families, eating at the table as a family provides opportunity to talk to one another, eat healthy foods which promotes healthy weight.
- Meet and get to know your teenager’s friends.
- Show an interest in their schooling and extracurricular activities.
- Help them to make healthy choices while encouraging them to make their own decisions.
- Respect their opinions and take into account their feelings and thoughts. Actively listen to what they have to say.
- Show affection and spend time with them.
- Encourage them to become involved in the community or at church.
Safety Tips for Teens
- Seatbelts! Wear them.
- Wear protective gear when riding a bike, skateboarding, snowboarding, or other similar activities.
- Get their opinion about drug and alcohol use. Talk to them about it.
- Know where they are at and who they are with.
- Set clear rules for them to follow.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among youth between the ages of 15 and 24 years of age. Talk to them about suicide and learn the warning signs.