Men are problem solvers and tend to try and work their problems out on their own. If we are lost we don’t like to ask for directions, we think that we can put together complex projects by only reading half of the directions and in all honesty this works well most of the time but there are times when we must swallow our pride and ask for help.
Going through a nasty divorce is stressful and challenging. Most people in their right mind don’t know what to do and seeing things beyond the anger and illogical decision of your spouse is hard. Men have been lead to believe that their children are better off with their mother because they are nurturing and loving. Quite frankly, there are many mothers out there that are just the opposite. Father’s rights are important and dads make just as good parents as moms as long as the children are put first.
If you have just been served with divorce papers then chances are you are behind the gun. Your spouse has been planning and plotting this for weeks or even months. They know what they want and they have been talking to a their own lawyer learning how to get it. Fathers – you don’t have to sit back quietly and accept the deal society used to give to men. You can have a say in how much you get to see your children.
To get started you need to find yourself a good family lawyer that is going to represent you and your interests. In this case it is being able to be the father you want to be and protecting your rights as a father.
Here are some tips for picking a family lawyer:
- If he/she tries to make you feel guilty for not hiring them then you need to keep looking because they are manipulating you.
- Do they offer a free consultation? Most do and you want to be able to sit down with them and discuss how they will handle your case.
- Their track record in court is important as well. How long they have been practicing family law? What percentage of cases are settled before trial and what percentage are won at trial?
- Ask them about their rates, lawyers can cost a lot of money but they don’t have to be outrageous and good lawyers can be affordable.
- Ask around with friends and family to see if they have worked with anyone that did a really good job.
- When you meet with the lawyer you want to feel comfortable with them and you want to feel that they understand the issues and what you are going through.
- You may want to steer clear of lawyers that simply want to make the other party look bad. This often can backfire. Remember it is about doing what is best for the child and that is what your case has to be built on.
When getting a family lawyer you may be tempted to do whatever it takes to win. That is okay but the problem lies in your motivation. Sure your spouse may be trying to hurt you but you don’t have to sink to their level. Put your children first and it will show because that is what truly matters. Children are innocent victims of divorce and you have to stand up for them and exercise your rights as a father.
If you still uncertain where to start you can find over 100 child custody publications written by world famous custody experts. These resources will help you get equal say when it comes to your children.